Since joining our Firm in 1992 (after thirteen years with Ernst & Young), Tom has served as audit engagement partner or as technical review partner for clients in a broad range of industries, including telecommunications, technology, insurance, manufacturing, dealerships and distribution, construction, and healthcare.
Tom is fluent in German and currently serves a number of German-owned companies. In addition, Tom serves clients based in England, Northern Ireland, Italy, Austria and Slovenia.
Tom is a mentor to start-up companies at the USC/Columbia Incubator and is active in South Carolina’s ‘angel investor network’, VentureSouth.
In addition, Tom is a leader in our employee benefit plan practice (approximately 45 audits annually); provides internal audit services to clients; and manages the Firm’s litigation support services. He frequently serves as an expert witness relating to accounting and auditing issues. See the attached list of cases.
Tom was an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina from 1996 through 2011, where he taught a graduate level accounting course for masters of accountancy students. Tom also teaches accounting and auditing seminars to CPA’s around the country. Speaking/teaching engagements have included:
Greenville, SC Accounting for Income Taxes
Gainesville, FL Advanced Compilations and Reviews
Nashville, TN Auditing Employee Benefit Plans
Seattle, WA Consulting to Healthcare Practices
Columbia, SC Current Accounting Developments
Columbia SC Employee Benefit Plan Reporting Requirements
Columbia, SC Mergers and Acquisitions
Greenville, SC Performing the Perfect Audit
Various Professional Ethics
Amelia Island, FL Audit and Accounting Update
While working with Ernst & Young, Tom provided audit and consulting services to some of the firm's largest national and international clients based in South Carolina and served as a national seminar instructor, teaching Ernst & Young's audit methodology to other firm professionals. Tom also served on quality review teams that performed audit quality reviews of other E&Y offices.
Graduated from the University of South Carolina in May, 1979 with a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting.
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (named one of the 100 Influential People in Accounting)
- Member of the inaugural class of the Palmetto Venture Fellowship (a Program of Venture Carolina, VentureSouth, and the South Carolina Department of Commerce)
- Past Member, Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce (Finance Committee)
- Past Member, Spring Valley Education Foundation (Treasurer)
- Past Member, South Carolina Small Employer Insurer Reinsurance Program (Board Member)
- Past Member, Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce (Board Member)
- Past Member, American Red Cross Blood Services (Board Member, Chairman of Finance Committee)
- Past Member, Northeast Columbia Soccer Association (President, Treasurer)
- Past Member, Keep America Beautiful of the Midlands (Board Chairman, Treasurer)
- Past Member, Columbia City Ballet (Treasurer)
- Past Member, South Carolina Youth Soccer Association (Treasurer)
- Past Member, Committee of 100 (Board Member, Treasurer)
- Past Member, EngenuitySC (Advisory Board Member)
- Past Member, Navigating from Good to Great Foundation (Board Member, Treasurer)
- Past Member, Columbia Advisory Board—German American Chamber of Commerce