Bryan is a shareholder in the firm’s audit and business advisory department and is the practice area leader in the Firm’s property and casualty insurance practice. Bryan provides services to more than sixty-five property and casualty insurance companies, risk retention groups, managing general agents, claims administrators, and other service providers in insurance domiciles throughout the United States.
Bryan began his public accounting career with the Firm in January 1999. Prior to joining the Firm, Bryan attended the University of South Carolina where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a major in Accounting in 1997 and a Master of Accountancy degree in 1998. Bryan has been honored as the “Captive Person of the Year” by the South Carolina Captive Insurance Association for his leadership and dedication to the captive insurance industry. Bryan is a past Chairman of the Board of Directors of the South Carolina Captive Insurance Association.
Bryan was named to the Board of Directors of the International Center for Captive Insurance Education (“ICCIE”) in August 2013 and served in this capacity through 2019. Bryan provided leadership to ICCIE’s strategic direction and participated in public relations efforts as an ambassador and advocate with members in the risk management industry and the general public. He also established goals and evaluated progress for both ICCIE and its board.
Bryan was one of the first South Carolina Certified Public Accountants and is the only CPA in public practice in South Carolina to earn the prestigious Associate in Captive Insurance (“ACI”) designation, sponsored by the International Center for Captive Insurance Education (“ICCIE”), in February 2009. This program and certification required the successful completion of five core courses and two elective courses including An Introduction to Alternative Risk Financing Mechanisms, Understanding Risk and Risk Retention Mechanisms, Protecting the Captive: Predicting Risk, Reinsurance and Other Transfer Mechanisms, Forming and Operating a Captive, Business Ethics in the Captive Insurance Industry, Risk Retention Groups, and Accounting for Captives.
Participation in additional captive insurance teleconferences relating to current industry hot topics was also required. Similar to CPA certification, the program has continuing education requirements which Bryan completes annually in order to maintain his certification.
Bryan also serves as in-charge of the Firm’s services provided under outsourced contracts from insurance regulatory agencies related to regulatory compliance and financial reporting. Bryan is a designated computer audit and electronic data extraction specialist and routinely consults with clients in this area.
Current and Past Organizations:
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the South Carolina Captive Insurance Association (Past member of the Board of Directors where he served as Chairman, President, Treasurer, and Conference Committee Chairman)
- Member of the North Carolina Captive Insurance Association (Conference Committee Member)
- Member of the Vermont Captive Insurance Association (Conference Committee Member)
- Member of the Delaware Captive Insurance Association
- Member of the Captive Insurance Companies Association
- Member of the Board of Directors and former Treasurer of the International Center for Captive Insurance Education
- “Material Weakness – Communications,” The Captive Insurance Journal
- “Crucial First Steps,” South Carolina Captive Review
Selected Speaking Engagements:
- South Carolina Captive Insurance Association Annual Conference, panel, “Loss Reserving Best Practice; Roles and Interactions of TPAs, Actuaries, Attorneys & Auditors,” Charleston, South Carolina
- South Carolina Captive Insurance Association Annual Conference, panel, “The Reserve Review Process: Where Did We Go Wrong,” Charleston, South Carolina
- Master of Accountancy, University of South Carolina
- BS, Accounting, University of South Carolina
- Associate in Captive Insurance, International Center for Captive Insurance Education, University of Vermont