Beth joined BPS in 1994 and became a shareholder in 2013. She is the firm's leading expert on trusts and estates.
No one likes to dwell on the prospect of his or her own death. Postponing estate planning until it’s too late runs the risk that beneficiaries may not receive what they were intended to receive whether due to extra administration costs, unnecessary taxes, or squabbling among heirs.
These very real circumstances are why Beth advocates for professional estate planning, regardless of the size of the estate. It allows the individual to ensure their property goes to intended recipients, in the way they want, and when they want. An effective plan also allows individuals to save as much as possible on taxes, court costs, and attorneys' fees.
Beth offers a broad range of proactive tax, estate, and succession planning for individuals and businesses. She works closely with both beneficiaries and fiduciaries of trusts and estates regarding South Carolina’s probate and trust laws. Once a plan is in place, Beth remains in close contact with her clients and their legal advisors during implementation as well as adjusting the plan as needs change. She also assists families upon the death of a loved one, including working with the probate court, funding and administering trusts, and assisting family members through the various processes and filing necessary tax returns.
Beth applies her experience in another surprisingly high-need area: forensic accounting.
No one likes to think their employees might steal from them. The fact is the most likely culprit for fraud is a long-term, trusted employee. I enjoy investigating cases of suspected fraud and helping business owners uncover potential problems.
Using her forensic accounting skills, Beth has uncovered misappropriated funds ranging from $100,000 to $840,000. As in her trust practice, she encourages clients to take a proactive approach and to establish internal controls to avoid potential fraud.
When not assisting clients, Beth enjoys traveling and spending time with her family.
- Master of Accountancy, University of South Carolina
- B.S., Business Administration, Francis Marion University, Major in Accounting
- Estate Planning
- Forensic Accounting
- Succession Planning
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, South Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Former Member, SCACPA, Accounting Careers/ Academic Relations Committee
- Member, Columbia Tax Planning Group
- Past Chair, Columbia Estate Planning Council
- Graduate, Leadership Columbia (2005)
- Board Member, Vista Del Mar Homeowners Association
- Board Member, Francis Marion Education Foundation
- Board Member and Treasurer, South Carolina Hunter Jumper Association
- Former Treasurer, Dutch Fork Middle School
- Former Adjunct Professor, University of South Carolina
- Former Board Member, Ascot Homeowners Association
- Former Treasurer, River Springs Elementary School PTO
- Former Sunday School Teacher, Riverland Hills Baptist Church
- Former Treasurer, Crossroads Middle School PTO